Friday, March 5, 2010

The elusive photographer

... I thought no one would notice that I stopped sharing my bridal travails, but as it turns out, at least my fellow co-workers have noticed.  I don't really know where I am in this wedding process except that I still need a damn photographer.  The problem being that I'm  not all that impressed by all the one's I've seen or reached out to so far.  I'm a photog. snob.  Yes I am. 

Why?

Because I love photography, I took photography courses in college, one of them was Photojournalism, and I believe I have a discerning eye for talent. Not only was I a great photography student, but  my prof. liked my work so much that he offered me an internship as an assistant photographer for the Newsday paper.   But, I needed to have a car to drive around, and I didn't even have a license at the time, so I had to pass on what at the time seemed like an awesome opportunity (especially for a media student).

Or maybe fate had it so that I would work in advertising instead.

Regardless, i'm a photog. snob and I am afraid of hiring the wrong person to record this most highly important event in my/fred's life.  You only get one shot at it, and if it's not the right shot, there's no do-over.  I also saw some portfolios of those that charge a lot and the reality is that their style is not that different from those who charge less.  You really have to look at the style and skill involved, price is irrelevant. 

This is the toughest decision yet.  But one that I will not let get to me.

Stay tuned for the outcome...

D

No comments:

Post a Comment