Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wedding Magic Ebbs and Flows

I just realized as I sit here telling Fred that all I have is $7 for takeout tonight for the sushi order (yep, I was home all day and I did not cook) that I haven't been doing much upkeep with this blog here.  Is it wedding-planning-magic all along?  I wonder if this is normal.  There are days when i'm truly into this and in full planning mode, and enjoying it, and then there are days like today when all I can think about is lounging around and watching movies all day.  Then I realize that I'm just being lazy and super unproductive and that I should at least say "hi" to the blog.

Well here I am, and the funny thing is that as soon as I begin to write I start thinking of a zillion things to discuss, but then I realize that I should save some of them and not give them all up one-shot.  You know, is like trying to get that sudden brain juice stored away somewhere for use on future low-juice" days. 

I shouldn't be so hard on myself however.  There have been several things that I have accomplished in the past weeks.  Here's my list:


1.  When in "the mood", I have actually been browsing the heck out of etsy in search for inspiration and wedding ideas.   I have a folder in my computer where I save screengrabs of things that catch my interest including hand-made wedding bouquets that do not include real flowers, and custom shoe paint jobs- it's like graffiti for shoes.

Here's a pair of shoes from CocoPunkz.  This particular style is called "Obsessions".  Now that's what I'm talking about.  I haven't decided on a design for my shoes, but you bet I'm counting on a snazzy pair made just for me, for my big day!  Is it possible to adjust the saying to "wear your heart on  your feet"?






2.  Wedding Gown.   This matter has been taken care of.  I found a fabulous dress through The Cotton Bride that I cannot wait to wear!  Yep, when I wore that dress I knew it was right because I didn't want to take it off.  That's just what it feels like.  All you want to do is stand in front of the mirror staring at yourself in that dress.  Shallow, perhaps.
(wedding bell rings...  I mean door bell rings, sushi is here)
 My only fear is that I was told not to GAIN weight.  A lot of brides LOSE weight either through dieting or simply from stress.  In my case, I think I have been this size/weight for years now, but what if all of a sudden my metabolism fails me and I end up putting on a few pounds?  Then what?  I've never had to worry about gaining weight, in fact it has been encouraged.  This is the first time I'm actually worried and realize... shit, what if I don't fit into my dress?

3.  Wedding couples meet and greet.  Our caterer (The Raging Skillet) organized a soiree for about 5/6 wedding couples this past Friday and treated us to nice wine and hors d'ouvres.  I got to talk to other couples that like us, are in full wedding planning mode.  Overall, it was nice to be able to talk JUST WEDDING TALK without feeling guilty (because your friends don't always want to hear about your wedding planning actually) or being obnoxious.  Everyone was on the same page,and it seemed that almost everyone had relevant information to share with at least one other couple.  We found that one of the couples is getting married at our same venue, the day before us!  I was telling Fred: we should make conversation with them and try to talk them into leaving their table centerpieces and flower arrangements behind for us to re-use the next day.  Haha.  Ghetto.  But, the table was long, the wine was flowing, and we were too comfortable talking with those directly next to us, and that possibility got away.  But, before the night was over I did get a contact for a Photographer from one other couple.  I'll be checking out her portfolio pretty soon.

Bottom line is that I shouldn't be so hard on myself.  Woman does not live from wedding magic alone.   Oh no, that's why I have a mantra to keep me in check:  "the day this wedding becomes a chore, it will cease to be fun".  I won't let it get to that point.  It's like a relationship, you need time apart once in a while.  Otherwise you'd suffocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment