Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Ring!

Fred and I have been living together for almost four years now, and getting engaged was never out of the question, it was simply a matter of time.  When the time came (and I don't know how it happens, it's just some sort of time bomb that goes off) to get serious about it, he started doing his research.  Fred is very much the practical guy, never rushing into anything, never an impulse buy, everything is thoroughly calculated- an engagement ring wouldn't be the exception.

He started doing research and even began looking at lab diamonds; a guaranteed way the diamond would be bloodless.  But, it turned out that the lab diamonds he was finding only went as high as a .5 carat size.  Now, before you pass judgment you have to realize something- I didn't want something that stopped traffic, but not having really been a huge fan of jewelry (costume the only exception) I wanted something that I would enjoy wearing for potentially the rest of my life, and so I did have an idea of what I wanted.  The ideal ring for me would  be around 1carat because I thought it was a nice round number and it's probably the most common diamond size.  Knowing this he went back to the drawing board after finding that the lab diamonds were no longer an option.  And to think that lab diamonds are only a fraction of the cost!

After weeks of research, the man finally realized that it was time for us to go look at the real things.  He warned me: "now, don't get any ideas... we're only going to look at rings so that I can get a sense of what you like, it doesn't mean I'm going to buy anything".  How charming of him!  And so, we went to check out this store in Park Slope, Brooklyn called The Clay Pot that caught our eye after various internet searches.  And there, in a matter of minutes I had found the ring I wanted to own and to wear.  It was simple, but full of intricacies upon close inspection.  And just like that the quest was finally over.  I knew what I wanted, and he knew that once I knew, there was nothing else to it but to just make it happen.  And that, he did!

Here's the pic:



Ring is from the Richard Landi collection: http://richardlandi.com/html_pages/1962.html

And here's the ring on my finger!  I think it's dainty and has plenty of vintage charm. Sigh! 

1 comment:

  1. Delila, this blog makes me so happy!
    I am going to check out your posts, so you better update often :)

    love,
    mari

    ReplyDelete